I recently received some clarification about the 2 monkeys and wanted to post while it's still on my mind - since the monkeys seem to cause a lot of confusion. Here is what I have on this, and we can add/edit as it's clarified (PLEASE ADD ANYTHING YOU HAVE ON THIS):
- Maura had 2 monkeys: Joseph and Harry
- Joseph was brown and Harry was grey (white and grey or cream and grey)
- Joseph was said to be a gift from Billy R. and named because "Joseph was his middle name". I am not sure about Harry
- Joseph (brown) was said to be "left in the Saturn". However, I don't think it is on any inventory list.
- Harry (grey) the one in the dorm photo was given to John Smith by the family (edit: in 2006). I had heard it was possibly to interact with psychics at least in part.
- This dorm photo of "Harry" was posted on facebook by Tim P. in May 2018 along with the other dorm photos and the liquor store receipt (with redactions) and was said to have been given to Oxygen by LE https://i.redd.it/1esbkou00s831.jpg
Here is a letter written by Sharon R to Maura that mentions the monkeys (date unknown - "within a week of October 3, 2005" thank you u/fulkstop):
"Dearest Maura, Please trust me, and please, please listen to me. I would like to speak for so many people that I have met that I know that love you. But, I will not presume to know their inner thoughts and feelings, so I speak only for myself and for Big Bill. We have this discussion over and over. We want you to know that there is no problem that you may have that we cannot understand; there is no problem that you may have that we find cannot find help for you; there is no problem or action on your part that we cannot forgive. Very simply: we will always love you.
We wish you knew how very much our family loves you and longs to know that you are well. There is nothing that you have done or could possibly do that would diminish the love we have for you. We will always be here for you or to help you. There are times we feel guilty - and we play over and over so many things in our minds: if we ever caused you to feel insecure in our love or to doubt that we wanted you to be a part of our family, please forgive us. If you are choosing to be away, then I know that guilt does its number on you too. Don't be afraid to come home, to come to Ohio.
I recall the fear and love in your voice when you called for advice when Billy was so ill during Jan 2002. Do you recall that fear? It pales in comparison to the fear we experience because you are missing. Because you have been gone for so long, you surely must have doubts and fears about returning. This is understandable. But here nothing has changed the way Big Bill and I feel towards you. We just regret that we didn't openly share with you how much we love, admire and respect you.
Most of all, we just want to hold you and smother you with our love and hugs while you blush and giggle. Call us collect; email us; write us with no return address; contact us in any manner you choose, but please let us know that you are among the living. Hopefully, you will return soon: your old room is waiting; the Beretta is waiting. Most of all, we are waiting. And, if God forbid, you are being held against your will, trust in God, be strong, do what you can to get away, and if possible, get word to us. Be confident that your Dad will never rest in his search for you, and many more of us will never give up our pursuit until you are home.
All my love and prayers, Sharon
PS - Thought that you would want to know: 'Joseph' is comforted with 'Harry' on the opposite side of shredded navy - I know you get it :-) “